Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Final Reflection - Jenna Kibler


The Dominican Republic has had a huge impact on me. I enjoyed learning so much about the Dominican culture in just a week. It was intriguing getting to know the Dominican children and forming close bonds with them during the camp.

I loved being able to help the community and local schools. It was shocking when we went to Domingo Maiz and saw the poor living conditions the Dominicans lived in. I vividly remember the small shacks they lived in, a toddler being bathed in a bucket, and dogs barking on a roof. After we left the village, I could not stop thinking about what I had just witnessed. It was hard to grasp the thought of living in such unsanitary conditions where the Dominican were only given gallons of clean water once a week. It also saddened me to see the lack of education the children received. I realized how truly blessed I am really and wished I had been even more grateful at home. What shocked me the most was that even though the Dominicans did not have much, they always had a smile on their face. Their lives were simple, and they were making the best out of their situation; it was truly gratifying to see.

This trip allowed me to clearly see how fortunate the American citizens are. In the United States many citizens take for granted the quality of education, government programs, and overall safety they receive. This trip to the Dominican Republic was one of the best weeks of my life. Not only did I learn about the Dominican culture, but I also learned a lot about myself and my passion to serve others.

Jenna Kibler, Shenandoah Co.
 
 











 

No comments:

Post a Comment