Monday, August 15, 2016

Final Reflection - Dakota Funkhouser


This year was my third trip to the Dominican Republic. Every time I’ve gone I have gained new insight and my experiences are always different and I ALWAYS have new stories to tell. My Spanish speaking skills are very poor so I really wanted to use this trip to work on my communication skills with a language barrier. I actually learned a lot of Spanish words and ended up leaving with a lot more knowledge than what I came with.

The heavy focus that the Dominicans put on the environment is very eye opening. They have to be very careful about their waste because they have very limited water supply. They have environmental worries that Americans would never think about. They have to be very mindful of the materials they use and the waste they create.

One of my favorite things about the entire week is meeting and working with the Dominican teens. I think it’s very exciting to meet teens our own age who are going through the same teenage issues, but in a totally different setting. They have issues in their homes and communities that we never experience as do we. We really relate to each other and making friends with them is fast and easy. Dominicans are very welcoming, happy people.

 

This trip has influenced my decision to be a teacher very heavily. My first trip was very eye opening in the fact that I am so lucky that I live in America, but this last trip really allowed me to focus on the interactions with children at day camp. Although there is a language barrier with the kids, I still learned a lot from them. I believe that every different interaction I get with children allows me to grow my teacher capabilities. I plan to teach elementary level students in low income or poverty stricken areas.

This trip has also influenced my decision to travel after college. I would really like to get involved within the United States through AmeriCorps or, if I get lucky, get involved with the Peace Corps and travel to do service work elsewhere.

I would absolutely recommend this trip to other 4-Her’s. If a 4-Her has this opportunity and doesn’t take it, they would be missing out on an experience of a lifetime. It’s so incredible and eye opening, not just seeing a third world country, but meeting the people and seeing things they have to handle on a daily basis. Plus, the trip isn’t all work and no play. We ended every day by lounging by the pool, cooling off in the ocean, or relaxing in the hot tub.

It’s important that we keep this program alive and well because it’s the type of opportunity that kids don’t get anywhere else. 4-Hers should travel while they’re young because as you get older it gets more expensive and the possibilities become more limited. This program allows 4-H members to connect with 4-H teens in ANOTHER COUNTRY! Isn’t that what 4-H is all about? Making connections around the world and building friendships that will last a lifetime. This program demonstrates all that 4-H has to offer and really allows 4-Hers to showcase their leadership and to grow their power to work in a team and rise to new challenges.
Dakota Funkhouser, Shenandoah County

No comments:

Post a Comment