Monday, August 15, 2016

Final Reflection - Niki Funkhouser



 
 
The Dominican Republic trip this year was one for the books.  This trip might have been the last trip to the DR with 4-H for me, since I will be leaving for basic training next summer on July 18th . 
There was a great set of youth on the trip.  Everyone become friends quickly. I still talk with some of the ladies.  Since I attended the trip two years ago, it was great to see familiar faces in the Dominican.  I was pleased that the trip had some small changes then the past year.  We did the same community services, but visited a different school to deliver school supplies. The resort and beach was even more beautiful than I remember.  During the snorkeling trip, I was able to hold a baby octopus! 
I turned 17 while in the Dominican, which was the same night as the Giudicelli's party.  The day campers were a handful, but luckily, I had bilingual campers to help break the communication barrier. 
This was the last summer for my sister and I to be “kids,” so I’m grateful we spent it with continuous 4-H involvement; not only with the Dominican trip, but other camps and projects we participated in through our other clubs.
Niki Funkhouser, Shenandoah County



No comments:

Post a Comment